Halloween Food Recipes
Halloween food and fun make up the celebration. Scary looking treats gross-looking delights and funny looking foods decorate the dining table during Halloween. Here are a few tips on how to make the dinner fun. Let us see some Halloween food recipes.
Halloween chicken soup
- 1kg/2lb 4oz chicken wings
- 100g/31/2oz unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 1 small head of Celeriac, finely chopped
- 3 large carrots, finely chopped
- Bouquet garni (thyme, bay leaf and celery leaves)
- 250g/9oz button mushrooms, finely sliced
- 200ml/7fl oz dry white wine
- 3 leeks, finely sliced
- A small piece of fresh ginger
- 4 whole star anise
- 3 sticks of celery, finely sliced
- Large bunch of fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Put chicken wings into a casserole.
- Pour water and bring it to boil, on high heat.
- As soon as the water boils skim off any impurities.
- Lift out the wings and cool them under running water.
- Pat dry.
- In a sauce pan, add some butter in high heat.
- Add chicken wings, onions, carrots, garlic, mushrooms and celery.
- Cook for 15 minutes.
- Turn the heat up, pour wine, and reduce to half.
- Pour cold water to cover the
- Bring it to boil and skim off any impurities that surface to the top.
- Add the star anise and bouquet garni.
- Simmer very gently for 30 minutes.
- Add celery, leeks and ginger; continue to simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Turn the heat off.
- Season with parsley and let it stand for 20 minutes.
- Strain the soup with a thin muslin cloth.
- Serve hot.
Note: When stock simmers, it is common for some of 'scum' to appear on the surface of the liquid. Remove the 'scum' and discard.
- 2 lbs 8ozs pumpkin, peeled and diced
- 8 ozs chopped onion
- One and a half pints chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 2 ozs root ginger (chopped fine)
- Single cream
- Corn flour
- Cook the pumpkin in the stock till it becomes soft.
- Liquidize it in a blender.
- With muslin cloth filter it, add milk
- For thickening add corn flour.
- Bring it to boil. Season to taste.
Halloween potato ghosts
- 2 pounds potatoes (peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks)
- 5/8 cup hot milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup small black olives
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
- 7/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Cook the potatoes until they are very soft.
- Drain and place them in a microwave oven for 1 minute to remove any moisture.
- Using a potato masher mash them in hot milk, butter, salt and pepper.
- Beat with a spoon until the potatoes are creamy.
- Now create stencils of ghost shapes using heavy duty aluminum foil.
- Place them on a baking sheet.
- With a rubber spatula, fill in the potato mixture on the stencils. Lift the stencils off the finished ghosts.
- Slice olives and use them to make eyes and mouth.
- Microwave the ghosts for 5 to 10 minutes on a microwavable dish.
Spicy Pumpkin Pie
- 1/2cup of brown sugar
- 1-1/2cups of cooked mashed pumpkin
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Quarter teaspoon crushed cloves
- 1 cup cream
- Half teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- Mix all ingredients and place on a pastry tray.
- Bake in a moderate oven temperature for 45-55 minutes or until golden brown.
- Put the mixture to cool